Sunday, September 23, 2007

About Proteins

Coffee brewing, comp started up, google in my face. Quote of the day is "The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange protein; it rejects it" (PB Medawar)

Remember when the world was flat? I think it was Galileo Galileii who was hung for heresy back in the day because he proclaimed the earth was round. Turned out he was right. Though If I remember right, Columbus didn't get half the credit he deserved for discovering America (if you look at America now, I don't give him that much credit anymore either, but that's another topic).

Medawar hits the nail on the head. People generally turn their backs on new ideas, for new ideas require change, and change requires one to adapt. It's so much easier to hold on to learned principles and societal standards, than to step out of them and discover NEW stuff.

I remember well, the first time I talked to someone online about D/s and BDSM. I simply couldn't understand it. Why would a girl or boy love to be 'abused' - not knowing that, just like beauty, ugliness and pain lie in the eye of the beholder.
Nowadays, people come to me for advice related to BDSM. I love that. Not only because I love to teach what I know (and don't know), mostly because I get to see those people have obviously opened their mind to a new idea as well, and cast at least some judgement aside.

The thing is: there will always be new ideas. There will always be new proteins. I don't know if it is coincidence, or intent in this quote. Proteins are used by the body to grow, to make new muscle tissue primarily, which enables us to become physically stronger.
Ideas are used by the mind to grow, to develop vision and intelligence, which enables us to become mentally stronger.

Let's summarize that: Ideas are like proteins, and feed us mentally, make us grow, but require change to adapt to, and the human kind fears change by default, and thus rejects new ideas to stick to what they know. Keep life easy, it's hard enough at it is, right? We stick to what we know, for we think that makes us happy.
But change is imminent!! There will ALWAYS be new ideas! One always has to let go of the past to be able to move on to something new.

To come to my conclusion, something I said many a time before: "Happiness comes with the ability to change"
Funny, is it not? For to be able to change, you first need to change your perspective and attitude towards change in the first place. The first step to accepting change and adapting to it, is changing.

So far for my morning thoughts. Time to bake 'em and assimilate them. Time to bake an egg and have breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. Very well put. I wish more people in this world were open minded to new ideas... or at least stopped hiding behind their fear of standing out from the crowd by revealing their true feelings on important issues.

    ReplyDelete